Steve, Craig, and Tim welcome you to The Wolverine Den! For a preview of the next game, see below. For a look back (and to see the incriminating pictures), choose a game on the Last Week menu. If you plan on attending a tailgate at The Den for the first time, see the blog menu for Den Law and the house rules to many of the usual tailgate "activities". Click on Buy Gear for TWD shirt! For up to the minute gameday activities, follow us on Twitter! See you on Saturday.
Click here to see Craig's Pre-Season Report. This can also be found in the blogs section!
Ever wonder what happens before you get there? Three hours of tailgate set up at The Wolverine Den, condensed to 6 minutes. Click on The Wolverine Den Set Up video below.
This Week at The Wolverine Den
Capital One Orange Bowl
Michigan vs. Florida State
Hard Rock Stadium, Miami Gardens FL
December 30, 2016 - 8:00 pm ET
The University of Michigan Wolverines will make their 45th bowl appearance on December 30, 2016 in the Orange Bowl. This will be Michigan’s 3rd trip to the Orange Bowl after just missing out on the College Football Playoff. The opponent is the Florida St. Seminoles.
Michigan Alumni Tailgate
Florida St. has been one of the best teams in college football over the past 25 years, including winning the National Championship in 1993, 1999 and 2013. This year, FSU started the season ranked #4 and were picked by many to make the playoff. But a devastating loss to Louisville 63-20 in week 3 quickly put the Seminoles out of the top 10. Additional losses to North Carolina and Clemson left the Noles in danger of being relegated to a minor bowl game. But a strong finish to the season vaulted FSU back into national prominence and earned then a trip to the Orange Bowl.
The Wolverine Den Trivia
What is Jim Harbaugh’s overall record in Bowl Games?
FSU is led by their all-time leading rusher, Dalvin Cook. Cook had 1620 yards rushing this year with 18 TDs. Only a junior, Cook is still deciding whether the turn pro or return for his senior season. Deondre Francois is a redshirt freshman that started a QB for the Noles. He threw for 3128 yards with 18 TDs with only 6 interceptions. The month off for Francois was very timely as he took a lot of hits this year. He has multiple weapons at receiver, including throwing to the running backs. Florida State averaged 474 yards of offense per game this year and 41 points.
The FSU defense is led by the defensive ends – DeMarcus Walker and Brian Burns. They combined for 24 of Florida State’s nation-leading 47 sacks this year. Tavarus McFadden led the nation with 8 interceptions this season. It’s a good defense but one that gave up over 30 points five times this year.
While Michigan historically has not been great in bowl games winning only 21 of their 44 bowl games, Harbaugh had the team ready to dominate in last year’s bowl game. Maybe he has found the secret to playing great after being off for a month. Florida St was one of the most penalized teams in the nation this year, turned the ball over 18 times and rarely had long drives. They are also one of the worst teams at punt coverage. The Wolverines were successful this season by winning field position, time of possession and turnovers. And, they have one of the most dynamic punt returners in the country. Michigan placed all 11 defensive starters on the All-Big Ten team while the Michigan offense scored the most points for any Michigan team since the 1901-1905 Yost teams. This is a senior-dominated Michigan team and are motivated to win their final game in the Maize and Blue.
Michigan is 1-1 all-time against Florida St and 29-9 against the ACC.
The Wolverines are a 7 point favorite.
Great Moments in Wolverines Bowl Game History
- 1902 Rose Bowl. Michigan had 527 yards rushing – led by Willie Heston’s 170 yards and Neil Snow’s 4 TDs – in the 49-0 win over Stanford in the first Rose Bowl game.
- 1978 Rose Bowl. Rick Leach to Curt Stephensen for a 76-yard TD pass – the longest in Michigan bowl hstory.
- 1980 Rose Bowl. Butch Woolfolk’s 182 yards rushing helping Michigan give Bo his first bowl win 23-6 over Washington.
- 1988 Hall of Fame Bowl. John Kolesar’s TD catch late in the 4th qtr and Jamie Morris’ 234 yards rushing led Michigan past Alabama 28-24.
- 1989 Rose Bowl. Leroy Hoard’s 142 yards and 2 TDs led to a 22-14 win over USC.
- 1991 Gator Bowl. Michigan had 715 total yards of offense – a single game team record – in the 35-3 win over Mississippi.
- 1993 Rose Bowl. Tyrone Wheatley had 235 yards rushing (on only 15 carries) in 38-31 win over Washington.
- 1998 Rose Bowl. Brian Griese to Tai Streets for 2 long TDs to help Michigan win the National Championship.
- 1999 Citrus Bowl. Ian Gold’s interception and return for a TD in the win 45-31 over Arkansas.
- 2000 Orange Bowl. Tom Brady to David Terrell ten times as Michigan overcomes Alabama to win in OT 35-34.
- 2003 Outback Bowl. Chris Perry had 193 yards (108 receiving, 85 rushing) and 4 touchdowns to lead Michigan over Florida 38-30.
- 2008 Capital One Bowl. Chad Henne threw for 373 yards and Michigan beat Urban Meyer and Heisman-winner Tim Tebow 41-35 in Lloyd Carr’s final game as coach.
- 2016 Citrus Bowl. Michigan dominated Florida 41-7 behind 3 TD passes from Jake Rudock.